Saturday, November 10, 2007

Cold Carrot Day


When Claire didn't want to get out of the car at Blue Heron Farm today, I knew it must have been really cold. As soon as she felt the air with the windchill factor, she froze. I can stay in here, Mommy, don't worry. (Ummm... I was worried). I know it's cold, Sweetie, but you've got to get used to it, I said. That's okay Mommy, I am okay.

Despite what she said, she didn't get out of the car for a while - until she heard from Momo that there were treasures to be found: baby carrots!


Kids are resilient. They really are. Despite the cold, they were thrilled and distracted at the thought of finding the cute little carrots that survived the many frosts the farm had already encountered. Their little hands searched for the right leafy stems, then gently pulled up the sweetest carrots that we had ever tasted. They brushed off the dirt on their multi-layered clothing, and popped the tiny tubers into their mouths. That is what I call a little piece of (cold) heaven on earth.

No comments: