Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pomegranate

pom2

Pomegranate. Jewels. No wonder us Thais call it "Tuptim" which literally translates as "Ruby".

pom3

It is not native here in Ohio. In fact, when the kids asked where the first pomegranate tree came from, I was a bit speechless.  Must be China, I said. A lot of fruits originated there!

We then went on to more existential questions such as who was the first human? Did we come from monkey?

All I wanted to do was make a salad with a bit of pomegranate sprinkled about. And I wanted the kids to help me take the beautiful seeds out of the partitions found inside the fruit. I was not expecting to have a philosophical discussion about the origin of life!

At any rate, we did a quick search and found out that these ancient fruits originated in the Iranian Plateau, and in the Himalayas (I was in the ball park). Now they are cultivated in the tropics and temperate parts of the world.

This answer seemed to be just enough for the time being, for our soon-to-be seven year olds. Next time I think I have to use more tools than Google... I hope I have a bit of time to prepare for that!

No comments: