Sunday, October 22, 2006

Roasting Peppers



I felt like a hungry gopher yesterday. Walking through the plentiful UCSC farm, there were lots of fallen produce on the ground. "I can't let them go to waste", I thought. So with my baby gopher helpers, we brought a few sweet peppers home.

The best way to preserve peppers is to roast them and store them in olive oil. So that is what I did. It is such a simple process that it makes you wonder why the store bought roasted peppers are so expensive! I just set the oven to broil, lay a cookie sheet with foil paper, and 10 minutes later, voila! freshly roasted peppers!



To ensure easy peeling, I put the warm roasted peppers in a grocery paper bag and leave them in there for a few minutes. Meanwhile, I harvested some fresh oregano from the garden, smashed a couple cloves of garlic and put them in a jar. Once the peppers are all peeled and put into the jar with the herbs, I filled the jar up with extra virgin olive oil.

I can wait a few days for the herbs to infuse into the peppers - or I may just wait until tonight when we plan our harvest dinner feast!

No comments: