Monday, October 30, 2006

Pumpkins


There are so many pumpkins around right now, I wonder what happens post Halloween? Do the pumpkins go to waste? Do they get shipped off to pumpkin canning facilities? Do they rot and go back to being the soil from where they come?


We have a fair share of pumpkins at our house. Small ones, fortunately. Marjorie had taken the kids to a pumpkin patch along the coast just north of here a couple of weeks ago. And then Claire and Jim had a date where they also picked some more pumpkins after a delightful high tea. At any rate, we have carved them, lit them, and enjoyed their presence in our home.


Today at school the children got to decorate pumpkins using cut-up vegetables to make eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. After they woke up from nap, Claire asked to decorate our own pumpkins. Good idea, I said. That sounds like fun. Secretly, I wanted to partake in their fun at school today, but I was too embarassed to admit it (and actually had to run off to help induce a pregnant lady!). So with enthusiasm, I found some carrots, dried cranberries and zucchini from our fridge and pantry. I cut them up small enough to fit onto the pumpkins. Because we don't have toothpicks at home, I used dry spaghetti sticks as our adhering device.


The kids helped, but mostly, they watched me play while they ate the fruits and vegetables. Our fun continued with making banana bread. They actually were a big help! Claire added flour, eggs, and butter as Momo stirred. I have not tasted the end product, but it looks like a winner!

No comments: