Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Walk in the (Ohio) Woods

woods3

I live on a hundred acres, in the middle of nowhere. There are dozens of hummingbirds that come to the garden everyday... We can go hunt for mushrooms, salamanders, whatever! You should bring your family out sometime!

woods1

It was that easy. An invitation, from a prolific writer (with four NEW books coming out this next month), who I had just met a day before.  Michael is an easy guy to meet. No ego, no agent, no fluff. He means what he says, as we quickly found out when we found ourselves driving up the gravel road, meandering through the wooded hills of south eastern Ohio.

woods6

Nor was he making up the mushroom, salamander, and the hummingbird bit. Accompanied by some four legged friends around a small pond, we slowly made our way through the woods, finding fungi, and critters, and a very scary looking tree.

woods7

Michael is knowledgeable about mushrooms: which one is good for eating, and which ones will kill you. We found several oyster mushrooms, puff-balls, and chicken-of-the-woods, among others. The host promised a sample of our find during what was turning into quite a late summer's feast.

woods5
Thorny Honeylocust

woods9

And a feast we had: alfresco, multiple courses, with a few hummingbirds buzzing about.

woods10

Thanks again, Michael, for a fabulous time on the hundred acre woods. We didn't see Pooh, or Piglet, or any of their friends. But we did have two very happy children who are already looking forward to their next visit to the enchanted forest full of discoveries.


woods11

3 comments:

Michael J. Rosen said...

Thank you so much for this very kind "tribute"...to this place...and this time. I'm glad to be HERE as the host, that's all. The frogs and salamanders already miss your kids. Any time. The fall is perfect for another round.

Megan said...

Thanks for including your readers on your meanderings! Magical.

I remember fondly a bright orange salamander I once found on a camping trip. How beautiful and strange it was.

I am glad you all found one another...

Megan

Kit Yoon said...

It is a magical place. Thanks Michael, for sharing it. And thank you Megan, for reading and enjoying the ride with us!