Saturday, September 10, 2011

Alum Creek

creek1

Living in Ohio, there are occasions when the absence of a large body of water nearby is painstakingly palpable. After all, this is the first time that I have lived away from a coast.

creek4

It must have been something I took for granted. I would not call myself a 'water' person by any means. Apparently, I don't need to be IN the water, but I valued an access to it. And as I am getting older, the presence of water to me means a lot more than just the water itself.

creek3

The coast, whether it's by an ocean, or a big lake, brings with it a certain culture. It draws certain people, certain minds, and aspirations. It provides a narrative that is uniquely coastal. It inspires and touches different senses and values. It gives a sense of freedom.

creek2

Water also plays such an unrivaled entertainment for children. Our little boy has been fascinated by it, and what he can find in it, since he was a baby. In fact, his Thai name is water. I would not be surprised if water and the living organisms therein someday become the focus of his life.

Not too far from where we live is a small body of running water called Alum Creek. On a sunny day after the rain, it can be quite a sanctuary, and a wonderful natural playground. We spent sometime there today; he collected crayfish while I read in the peace and quiet of the soft flowing water.

It was just enough to fulfill my craving for now. As they say, little can go a long way.

No comments: