Thursday, September 08, 2011

Another Year

bee

I was hanging on to 35 a little more than I had expected.

Untitled-1

Although 36 is a nice, round, even number. The third cycle (12-year Chinese cycle) of life completed. I once again face the year of the Rabbit - the same zodiac sign I was born under, 3 cycles ago.

dinner3

The day was celebrated in multiple days, multiple ways (thanks to my sweet family). It started with a journey to a new destination. The country roads and the green hills and the farm itself were all rejuvenating. Even the weather changed abruptly. Summer went away in a blink of an eye (it had been 97 degrees the day before), leaving us with a cooler, autumn chill in the air.

red

And so, a good camp-fire style cooking (in the backyard) was in order with a salad of our very own tomatoes and basil, and nothing more.

dinner1

The sight of this ripening pumpkin (the only one we got out of so many plants!) was also a treat.

pumpkin

And these patties cooking on real charcoals... mine would be the lone portobello to the right.

dinner2

The ladies even joined us.

walking

And a 'hobo' pie was attempted in a new campfire cast iron pot.

pie

Birthdays used to be about the fun and the excitement of adding one more to your previous age. Now it seems like it's more about self-reflection and an addition of grey hair on ones' head.

flower

It's also about being thankful for what I have, and learning to live the moment.  Because at the end of the day, nothing else matters but what is happening right now. It did take almost three cycles of the Rabbit to knock that into my head.

malabar9

And it may take many more cycles for me to finally live it. But at least, I will give it a good try this time around.

5 comments:

Jim MacDonald said...

what a lovely post!!! happy birthday, hon. jim

Seung Kim said...

Kit, happy birthday!

Mine was Sept 5th and I am 48. So a rabbit too, and on my fifth cycle, as you so nicely put it. I see you are enjoying life. I need to talk to you and Jim about camping in the eastern Sierra - the place you show from this summer looks great. We are hoping to do more of this with our kids.

Best wishes,

Seung Kim

Kit Yoon said...

Hi Seung!

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had an enjoyable day as well. It's your fourth cycle, since you are 12 years my senior. So you are still good to go! ;) As for camping, it's Grover Hot Springs in Markleeville. Best family camping! You will all love it. Best to you and the family, Kit

silver sheep said...

Happy, happy belated birthday, friend! I have been 36 for a few months now, and I am thus far loving it even more than I did 35. The calm that comes with getting older is so worth the gray hairs. Love to all you guys!

Sufi

Kit Yoon said...

Thanks Sufi! I agree, so far ( a week into it), 36 does bring a certain tranquility I didn't experience in 35. Hmmm...interesting, isn't it? I hope SC is treating you guys well!