Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chick and Garden Update: Sept 13

harvest6

Where did time go? When I looked up at the beautiful full Harvest moon rising to the East of Columbus, I was reminded that summer is departing us soon (now that we live in a real four-season place). And wasn't it just yesterday that I was so worried about the baby tomato plants not making it out in the real world?

Untitled-1

The garden is doing okay, for the most part. We have had enough tomatoes to store away for winter, and many peppers to spice up things and share with neighbors. We have also had plenty of basil for pesto (for now and later), and one healthy Italian parsley plant seems to be just right for our family.

harvest5

Then there are carrots. The poor carrots. I am not the only impatient customer around here... I have two other parters in crime. We like to 'check' or sometimes we call in 'thinning'. Next thing I know, half of the (immature) carrots are pulled up and eaten before one can say Mississippi!

Untitled-2

The chickens are doing well... clucking away, and loving to explore the territory. They peck on anything they could lay their beaks on...including Cinnamon the bunny. No eggs yet... That, for sure, is testing our patience (and there is not much we can do about it, thankfully!).

No comments: