



This was our first attempt at making Shoo-Fly pie, the Amish way.
And this was after purchasing a small pie from the Amish booth at the North Market farmers' market a couple of weeks prior. We were inspired by its simplicity...and well...Amish things.
There is some tweaking we still need to do...but it was a rather simple thing to make. Molasses, sugar, flour, shortening (or lard, you know, if you prefer!).
What was the most eye-opening lesson from our baking session was the pie-crust recipe. I have always used Julia Child's as my go-to pie crust. But this one is called "Never Fail Pie Crust". Who would not give it a try?!
It surprised me that we needed an egg, and apple cider vinegar to make the pie crust. You would have been proud of me, though, because I followed the recipe precisely (something I have a hard time doing). And poof! A perfect pie crust! Those Amish are trust-worthy when it comes to cooking!
No comments:
Post a Comment