Thursday, August 19, 2010

Applesauce Cake





In the middle of the city of Columbus, I stumbled upon an apple tree, next to a parking lot.

It was not any sort of apple tree. It was an apple tree that is producing a lot of apples, ripe apples, so many that a lot of them were on the ground, rotting away.

It sure didn't look like the tree belonged to anyone in particular...so I went ahead, and gathered a few good apples. I knew exactly what was going to become of them: applesauce cake.

Our children love this cake. I made it a bunch of times last fall, back in Santa Cruz, with the apples we picked from a cool little orchard not too far from the coast.

Here is the recipe that we like for applesauce cake, adapted from the Joy of Cooking:

Applesauce cake
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar 
1 egg
1 cup thick, preferably homemade applesauce 
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
 Heat oven to 350F. Cream butter and sugar.  
Beat in egg and applesauce.  
Sift all dry ingredients together. Add to wet ingredients
Bake in greased pan 50-60 minutes. 

No comments: