Thursday, January 27, 2011

The other chef

pie2

When I saw Jim studying the cookbook the other day, I knew something was up. And honestly, I was a wee bit worried.

I can be rather territorial, especially in the part of the house that I find myself spending most of my time: the kitchen. I am occasionally joined by the younger members of the family (when they respond to my invitations). But it's not often that the oldest member of the family lingers in there.

pie3

And when he does linger, he is up to something rather grand.

It's true: when Jim cooks, or bakes, he is often doing something much more complicated than I normally am. For instance, the man made Beef Bourguignon a la Julia a few years ago. He even made beef consomme to go with it as an appetizer. That impressed even our Chef-friend whose jaw dropped when he found out that indeed it was Jim who made it, not me.

Jim's also known to make homemade Caesar salad dressing, homemade rye bread, and my favorite, lemon pudding.

These masterpieces, fortunately or not, occur once in a blue moon. And so, the kitchen (wherever we happen to be living) remains my domain.

pie1

Anyhow, the other day when he was studying the cookbook, and reaching for cake flour, and asking me to make him a pie crust (I just need one, he said), I knew to get out of my territory.

After a while of activity, and help from a little one, what did I see rising out of the oven, but a beautiful Banana Cream Pie, with a beautiful meringue top and all.

pie6

Not only that, the product tastes amazing, and was enjoyed by all. I think I even heard one of the kids saying:

Daddy, you are a really good cook!


Ah, yes, he is... But the kitchen is still mine!

4 comments:

LS said...

Yum! This has inspired me to bake something!

Kit Yoon said...

Hi Linda - what did you make?!

Rachel (Hounds in the Kitchen) said...

That does look delicious! I've never actually had a homemade banana cream pie.

I like how you let us know for sure that your husband is older than you. ;) It's always good to keep that straight.

Kit Yoon said...

Hi Rachel: Ah...age is just a number, but there is no hiding who is the younger one around here! You know, it's cultural. My Chinese grandmother adds a couple of years to herself every year. She is actually about 96 (we think), but she says she is 98. The older, the wiser...I think that's their thing.