I must admit that this day often sneaks up on me, and sometimes takes a detour around my head. Why? Because Hallmark doesn't register it as an important holiday (so you don't hear about it in this country). Because they would rather celebrate 'administrative assistant day' instead of honoring, oh, the fathers and King of Thailand.Today, I remembered. It dawned on me this morning when I checked the news on line and I saw what day it was. Quickly, I emailed my father and wished him a happy father's day (even though the day was almost over in Thailand's time). The day carried on as normal as any other day until tonight when I decided that I needed a flu-shot.
What does a flu-shot have to do with Thailand's Father's day? Well, it so happened that the 'flu-clinic' was held at Mount Auburn Hospital, right down the street from where we live. And that happens to be where the King of Thailand was born on this day, 80 years ago!
So after someone injected me with a small amount of inactivated flu protein, I visited the altar where there were framed images of the King and the Queen of Thailand. I took the elevator to the fifth floor which houses, not surprisingly, the maternity ward. Right underneath the images stood a freshly delivered bouquet of flowers from one of the Thai restaurants in town. For a short moment, I felt at home, and fulfilled. I had made an homage to the significance of this very day! Long Live the King of Thailand! And Dad, Happy Father's day, again!
No comments:
Post a Comment