Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Vermont Weekend: Luck


When we left Vermont after our last visit, we knew we needed to return soon. Labor Day weekend would be perfect, we thought. It's a long weekend, it's harvest season, it's prime time in rural New England. We made sure that our friends did not mind our self-invitation back to their home.


We would have gone regardless of the weather. Good friends make up for any rainy day. But luck had it that we hit the jackpot. Big time. It could not have been a more splendid weekend. Enough said.


Because of the weather, the location, and the friends, everybody enjoyed the experience in every regard. The four kids were usually off playing together while the adults chatted, or got chores done. A few times, I did not even know where my children were, except I knew that they were close by and safe. One time I had finished doing something, checked in on the kids who were being entertained by big sister Haley (telling a story of the giant beet). Jim was breaking down camp with Randy. And I was, well, free. So I grabbed my beloved new toy, and wandered around the property to catch some neat moments in time. Imagine the joy!



Claire rightly blurted out one time during the weekend that it felt like California. Yes, we said. Enjoy it, we said. This will not be here in a couple of months time. We were indeed very lucky to be in a beautiful place, with wonderful friends, and the best that summer had to offer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I very much enjoy reading your blog. The pictures are so warm and lovely.
Thank you for sharing