A week ago today we were in Vermont, sitting around a camp-fire with marshmallows at the end of long sticks roasting away. Randy played the guitar, and Amy played the flute as Carly slept in her lap. Haley bumped her knee on a rock but recovered like a champ! When it was time, I said good-night to Momo, Claire and Jim. I returned to the house and the three of them slept in the tent, under the stars. It was to be the kids' first camping experience.
It felt a bit strange to go to sleep alone that night. I kept thinking that three little bodies would find their way into bed with me during the night. It was a completely clear night, and rather cold. I fell asleep hoping that the children would be warm enough in the tent.

The next thing I knew, the sun was shining brightly into my room. And I was still alone. My first thought was, great, they made it in the tent all night! With that in mind, I spent a moment relishing the big bed, the sunlight, the peace and quiet of rural Vermont. No sooner had I begun to sink back into the pillow than I heard footsteps on the stairs. The door swung open, and two little people climbed into bed with me, their cheeks red and cold from the outside air. Hi guys, I greeted. How was camping? Good, Mommy, they said as they searched for warmth. Jim came in seconds later to report on their successful camping experience. He was (rightly) proud. I was impressed.

They did it again the second night. This time it was just Claire and Jim. Momo opted to stay warm in bed with me. We tried to convince Claire to do the same, but she was determined to sleep in the tent again, with her Daddy. Momo and I slept uninterrupted that night, as did Claire and Jim. Refreshed the next morning, Jim even went as far as to say that he slept better than he had slept in a long time. Wow. We have some campers in the family!

Never underestimate a little girl with a lot of love for her Daddy!
No comments:
Post a Comment