Friday, March 23, 2007

Pizza Night


I am not the only cook in the kitchen. Sometimes I am a sous-chef.


Every so often, we do a pizza night at home. Homemade pizza, that is. I usually prepare the pizza dough in the afternoon while the kids are napping. By the time they wake up and ready to perform, the dough is ready.


The kids get to choose what they want to put on their pizza, and they also get to creat it. Most of the time, Claire will put tomato sauce, olives, anchovies and cheese on hers, and Momo usually just likes pesto and parmesan cheese on his. Tonight, we had no pesto, so his pizza was very Zen-like. We liked how he put the olives all in a row, on the edge.




Making pizza is like painting, actually. And I didn't really see it from that perspective until I started making pizza with my children. I find myself guiding them with the same vocabulary I use when I am helping them with their drawing or painting: "stay in the line, guys!", "spread it all out, guys!". After all, food is art, isn't it?

No comments: