
As many of you know, our children love to sing. They sing when they wake up; they sing before they go to sleep; they sing when they are eating; they sing when they are happy. I never enjoyed music as much as I do now with them. So much so that sometimes I find myself listening to their music in the car, even when they are not in the car with me.

We started singing to them since the day they were born. I used to sing to them during our long walks in the morning and Jim used to sing them to sleep. I used to run of of children's songs to sing, Thai or English. Those were the pre-music class days. For about a year now, we have been going to a music class run by the organization called Music Together. The idea is that children and parents come together to sing and dance and play with instruments. There is usually one teacher who leads the class, and there are about 10 to 12 children with their parents. We always start with the same song, Hello Everybody. And always end with the GoodBye song. And in between, we may sing 6-8 other songs composed by the organization. The first time we went, Momo and Claire clung onto me for their dear life. And I myself didn't know any of the songs, so I just hummed along, trying to encourage the kids to have fun. The second class got better, although they still just watched the others intently. And now, they still like sitting with me, but they are so comfortable that sometimes I lose track of where they are in the room, or what instrument they are playing with.

Music comforts our children, as I know it brings comfort for most human beings. But if you have been one of the lucky ones to have witnessed their 'performances', you would know that not only does music make them happy, it has become the best form of entertainment in our lives! There are very few things that I would rather do now than watch our children sing at the top of their lungs, caring about nothing else in the world. It is a beautiful thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment