
November 10, 2011. I made a fresh green salad from the garden.
Despite the several frosty mornings we have had, our greens are still thriving out in the open air. I was told that these greens are cold-loving, but I didn't realize that they would this sturdy. Not a single frost bite on these delicate leaves!

We have Tat soi, Tatsuma, spinach, arugula, and some baby lettuces in the garden. I had a grandiose idea of creating a low tunnel so that we could grow them deep into the winter this year... but there they are, still exposed to the real world of unpredictable temperatures of central Ohio.

We are really heading into the cold season now (I think), and soon these hardy plants will give up the fight, too.

It's been lovely to have the vibrant greens with the warm autumn hues, to rely on our own garden for the salads and toppings on soups and chilis.

But perhaps more importantly, they have been good for the soul, inside and out.
No comments:
Post a Comment