Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A visit to Bill's garden

bill9

Bill and I met over a swallowtail caterpillar on a dill plant. Hunched down, trying to get a good picture of it as usual, I saw two extra feet that were not mine next to me.

bill8

We started a conversation about the caterpillar that became discussions about gardens, communities, schools, and backyards. We clearly shared a passion, and it was just easy to hang with Bill.

bill7

Little did I know that Bill is a pretty important figure here in the community. I didn't go one week after meeting Bill before hearing his name mentioned here, there, and everywhere. His official title is Growing to Green Program Coordinator at Franklin Park Conservatory. In real life, however, Bill is the superman of community gardens. In fact, during our first conversation, I am pretty sure he said in a very peaceful, determined kind of way, that he firmly believes that "community gardens will make the world into a better place."

bill4

Time passed, and Bill and I stayed in touch in the busy people kind of way. Until one day, I found him picking ripe strawberries at the same garden where we met. "I was just thinking of you yesterday," he said. "I need you to come take photos of my garden sometime." Again, he said it in that peaceful, determined kind of way. Really, I asked - are you serious?

bill1

Of course he was serious. Bill is one of those genuine souls. I would get to see the garden of one of Columbus' heroes? I accepted without delay.

bill3

Not too many days passed, and I found myself in Bill's garden. He and his wife Jodi (who turned out to be, not surprisingly, the super-woman of gardening as well) welcomed me into their lovely, green, productive garden. I had a limited time to spend, but it never felt rushed. They gave me a tour of the different parts of their garden, the path to a small river running through their property, a small memorial garden for Jodi' father, a barn full of kittens cute as a button.

bill5

I left feeling full of gratitude. Someone told me when I first got to Ohio, a foreign land to me, that it's not really the place that will make you feel at home, it's the people. Clearly, I have found some of them already, in a bountiful peaceful garden just outside of a big city, no less.

Thank you Bill, and Jodi. I look forward to spending more time with you, amidst the beauty that you have created.

4 comments:

Margie Dawson Orahood said...

You've captured my brother and his wife perfectly. The pictures are awesome I see so many shots when I go over to their house. Thanks for sharing

Kit Yoon said...

Hi Margie,

Thanks for visiting the blog! You have been to their garden, so you know exactly what a treat it is. I only scratched the surface and look forward to visiting again with the camera in tow.

John Dawson said...

Beautiful Photos Kit, and lovely commentary! My camera is never far away from me also when visiting Bill and Jodi.

I have had the privilege of staying in the Kiwi Hut several times while traveling from New Zealand to see family in Ohio and the garden is always a delight.

Bill and Jodi's genuineness is reflected in their environment and how they live. Thank you for capturing this essence!

John Dawson Nelson, New Zealand

Kit Yoon said...

Hi John! Bill did tell me that you are living in Nelson. How lucky are you?! We were also lucky enough to have spent 3 months in the south island of NZ last year. Dunedin, to be precise. If you want to check out some of our adventures down there, you can go to the side bar, under 2010, January, February and March entries are all about our time in NZ! Have some delicious Fish n' Chips for us! Cheers, Kit