Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Ukulele


Last week, we went to the flea market here in Santa Cruz.  It was my second time there, and I must say that I don't really need to go back there.  It's a great place if you are looking for something in particular at a great price, not great if you easily get distracted, or if you are allergic to dust, and umm, should we talk about fear of fleas? I still wonder if that is why it is called the 'flea' market?

The first time I went, Claire came with me (and that was after 10 years of living here). It was a date of sort, actually. We had a grand time, checking out the booths, getting great deals for things we didn't need.  One of the things we saw there that time, was a stall of instruments.  We both thought of Momo right away. He would love to have one of those Ukuleles! We agreed to bring the 'boys' back next time.

And so we did. And yes, Momo did like the instruments, and did come home with a real Ukulele of his own. 

A Ukulele, as I recently found out, is its own instrument, popular in Hawaii.  Nobody in this family knows how to play any kind of instrument, unfortunately.  But that does not seem to deter the little man from strumming away on his new love.  He can often be seen singing to his 'garden', with sweet loving tunes and lyrics of his own. No wonder those plants are growing so well!  At times, though, it does feel like there is a 'new member', who is rather loud (and out of tune), in the family...

No comments: