Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

Ireland?
Their 'students' on a field trip from "Snap Peas" School, taught by teachers Momo and Claire




We are so not in Ireland!

A barn in Pescadero


Sign at Harley Goat Farm in Pescadero


How does a non-Irish mama celebrate an Irish holiday?  Well, to start off, I made the mistake of not dressing the children in green... only to get to their school and see everything, and everyone in green (can all that many people to part Irish? Really now...we are not in Boston anymore)!  But I did have a pot of corned beef boiling away on the stove at home for my Irish-husband...

We did more fun things than cooking corned beef and braised cabbage, though.  The kids wanted to take their "students" on a field trip, to Bean Hollow.  And because it was close by, I requested that I got to go on my field trip to Harley Goat Farm (and their cheese shop!) in Pescadero (I wrote about this place a couple of years ago.  It is still lovely, with impressively good goat cheese that Claire loves).

The green hills along the coast did make it feel like we were somewhere in Ireland.  The coastal fog made it even more medieval-like, although there were no castles anywhere to be seen, just a lone lighthouse at Pigeon point. 

The fields of bright yellow mustard came to life when the sun did shine... and that's when we were reminded that we were not in Ireland at all...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the beautiful stone beach at bean hollow, that's where my wedding ring stone came from!

Kit Yoon said...

we love that beach. and i love it because of the treasures we find there... although our last visit there, the waves had eaten up much of the stones/pebbles. next time...next time...