


I learned how to use the sewing machine from my high school friend, Sunshine. That really was her name she used in high school. Sunshine was one of those cool hippies with cool dreads... but I never thought that would look cool on me.
Sunshine taught me how to sew dresses, one of those hippie-style baggy dresses, made with calico fabric. I loved the whole process, and I loved wearing the dresses even more. They were so comfortable and roomy, and I think I wore them as nightgowns for a long time...to my husband's chagrin.
I still have that very same sewing machine, but it has been catching dust until recently. I am sad to say that I can't make those dresses anymore, without using a pattern again (I used to know by heart, and used to produce a few at a time). How I would love to make one for Claire now!
Regardless, I am on a little craft-kick, and so, the sewing machine is out again, being useful once more. This morning, before school, the kids asked if I could make them each an apron.
Using a sample one that came with the house we are renting (our landlord has a granddaughter our kids age), I spent the morning cutting, sewing, and patching. By the time they came home, they had their very own aprons to wear in time to help me make dinner tonight.
Thank you, Sunshine, for your inspiration and lessons so many years ago. They still come in handy, as you can see!
And isn't Momo's whale getting more realistic all the time?
2 comments:
momo
your whale is amazing.
daddy
I love the whale and the super cute aprons!
Post a Comment