Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wintry Walden





When I woke up today and saw the sun shining in the blue sky, I told the kids that we were going to Walden Pond after school. They beamed. They jumped. They were happy.

Then we left the apartment to walk to school. Icicles hung from the garage, and small puddles that the kids played with yesterday after the rain were frozen solid. My heart sank. It was a lot colder than I had hoped. Just because the crocuses are blooming doesn't mean that Spring is here.

As the day grew, the sun did warm up a little. We invited some friends to come with us, hoping for at least a little time outside by our favorite pond around here.

Walden Pond was still half frozen, but that only increased the kids' desire to get in there. And they did. They took off their socks, and boots, and rolled up their pants. I don't know how they managed, but they all played like that for what it seemed like a very long time. I have not felt this kind of freedom and happiness in the children since our visit to California. I look forward to more of it as the weather gets warmer here... When will that be?

No comments: