
"Keep Santa Cruz Weird" is a famous car bumper sticker that you see around town. Not all of Santa Cruz is weird, of course, but there is definitely a sense of the 60's here that doesn't exist elsewhere.

Having lived in Harvard Square for many years prior to coming here, this was no culture shock to us. As the years go by, however, I continue to discover that there is 'more' to this place than Harvard Square ever had to offer. And I am sure that I am just scratching the surface of both places. For instance, this 'Penny Artist' gladly let me photograph her art. "That's what it's for," she said, as she moved away for me to get a better view. I guess the biggest difference that I see between East and West coasts, no matter how hippie one gets, is that here on the West coast, the wall between human beings is much thinner, much lower, much more accessible. There is a door through the wall, let me just say it that way. On the East coast, hippies are darker, deeper, more intense. It's hard to get through to them. But when you do, they become your friend, a true kind of friend ( I can say this because I had some hippie friends in high school).

See what I mean? That's what you see sometimes when you walk through that door in the wall, here in our weird city.
No comments:
Post a Comment