
There is a new Indian food stall at our farmer's market. Not only is it fun to have ethnic foods to snack on, it's also a lot of fun to watch the making of the naan. I think I enjoy it as much as the kids do.
Naan resembles pita bread and, like pita bread, is usually leavened with yeast. Naan usually cooks in a clay oven, although the one at the market does not look like one. Typically, the naan will be served hot and brushed with ghee or butter. It can be used to scoop other foods, or served stuffed with a filling. My favorite is naan stuffed with curry potatoes and peas. I have not had one since my Cambridge days (there is a plethora of great Indian restaurants in Central Square... Watch out, here we come!).

A typical naan recipe involves mixing white flour with salt, a yeast culture, and enough yogurt to make a smooth, elastic dough. The dough is kneaded for a few minutes, then set aside to rise for a few hours. Once risen, the dough is divided into balls, which are flattened and cooked.
I have made chapati in the past (a thinner version of naan, also eaten in India), but I think I would like to try making naan now that I am reintroduced to its delicious textures and flavors. And more importantly, our kids love it!
1 comment:
We just adore naan too!
lovely post!
Post a Comment