Thursday, February 01, 2007

Living Earth II


Living Earth Play School lives up to its name. Many of the days that I pick up the kids, I find them covered with, what else, but earth. Yes, mud. And those are usually happy days: it means that the kids had a blast digging, rolling, piling dirt in their sunny play yard. The kids are happy, and so are the teachers. Those are the days when our children sleep like a log once they snuggle up for a nap and bed time.


There are many things about living earth that I love for our children, and will miss dearly when we move away. I like its small size, with a maximum of 12 children on any one day. I like that they focus on nature, and have the kids play, and learn in nature.


I like it that when I ask about the children's day, the teachers can tell me specific things that OUR children did that day. It means that each child receives the attention he or she deserves and doesn't get lost amongst a big crowd.


Each day at Living Earth, the children grow a little more. Some days they come home with new songs, other days they come home with new words, new concepts, new sparkles in their eyes. For the first time in my life, I wish for a chain school: I wish that there was a Living Earth Play School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: