Saturday, January 06, 2007

My Grandmother


My grandmother is a wonderful woman who will always be a huge part of my childhood memories. She is currently recovering from a surgery that removed cancerous tissues from her lung. Just about 4 years ago, she underwent chemotherapy and radiation for throat cancer. She suffered from a lot of pain: imagine your throat burning like fire from radiation treatments. And imagine trying to swallow in that condition, or sleep, or eat for that matter. But she was brave, and patient, and strong.


Her throat looks fine now, but the lung cancer was found almost by accident. She will have to recover from this surgery and perhaps tolerate through some more radiation. I know that she will be fine. My family is there by her side, but still I wish that I could be there to give her encouragement. I am so glad that we got to visit with her on our last lengthy visit to Thailand. And I know we will get to visit with her again on our next trip home. Regardless, I am thinking of her, sending her love, and support. Get well soon, grandma!

No comments: