Sunday, February 26, 2012

February Flora

spring2

Spring has been eager to start since the beginning of winter. It's been an anomaly, an unusually warm year, a year without real winter.

Back in November, I had a dream that provided me with such an optimistic outlook about the upcoming season. I dreamed that I woke up one day and said to myself: "Oh, that wasn't too bad!" THAT, in the dream, referred to winter.

spring3

And boy, was I right. Or rather, my dream, so far, has been proven truthful. Some dreams do come true, especially with a little help of El NiƱa (and you know...a little something called global warming)!

spring5

Generally, my early pre-dawn walks with the pup don't give me enough light for photography. Most days, we walk in silence, noticing small things as the world wakes up. More recently, the walks are getting lighter during the same time frame which allow us to notice more things: more life, more people, more flowers...in February.

spring6

Winter is still here, though, don't let the green stuff fool you. It was 24 degrees on our walk this post-dawn morning, a little later than normal work-week walks. I strapped on the camera. Katie and I were on a mission to find that perfect February flower.

spring8

It's not so easy, you see, to be a photographer and a dog-walker at the same time. Even with just 25 lbs on her, she can yank that leash pretty well if something excites her canine nose. We did what we could... We had to forgo some cool blooming anemone due to another dog barking right as we walked by the beautiful blooms. As I said 'Leave it!' to my dog, I had to say 'Leave it!' to myself, too. There will be another one on the walk, I assuaged myself.

Though not quite an anemone with a light peach color hue... We did find another February flower opening in the morning sun despite the freezing air.  The trusty crocus – always a sign of Spring – no matter how near or far.

spring1

No comments: