





We have been in Ohio for a few days now. A few very hot days, I might add.
The heat broke yesterday when we were blessed with a good amount of rain. And today was a beautiful summer day with blue skies, puffy white clouds, and relatively low humidity.
We had been studying up the possibilities of explorations around here. To our surprise, there are quite a few places within an hour or so drive that interest us. Because Columbus is in the middle of the state, we have a choice of all directions possible.
Today we chose to go southeast of Columbus, to Hocking Hills State Park, where we are promised waterfalls, and caves, and a lake to swim in.
Not too long after leaving the city, we started to see some hills. Yes, hills, in the middle of this flat, corn-everywhere-land. The closer we got to Hocking Hills area, the more we felt like we could have been somewhere in Maine, or Vermont, or New Hampshire.
The State Park itself was worth a trip (and it's free! All Ohio State Parks are free! Amazing). The lake was bath-water temperature. The kids enjoyed playing in it without getting cold. But I tell you, everywhere I looked: the landscape, the people, the plant life, I was reminded that I am not in California anymore.
And that's okay. Life will be just as full, and adventurous. Ohio, and its surroundings, will offer us plenty of beauty and surprises. I am sure of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment