Thursday, February 11, 2010

Around Here




Our house here faces East, over looking the Otago Peninsula. On most days, even with clouds, I wake up to see the sunrise. Some days, I can tell exactly which way the wind is blowing by the way the clouds are (quickly) moving. And occasionally, there will be nothing but the shimmering light of the sun coming up to the clear blue sky.

Around here, I take a lot of walks. After I drop the children off to school, I put on my ipod, and I walk down the hill, just so that I can walk up again (for my heart). I listen to my favorite podcasts (This Story, and This American Life) downloaded effortlessly from the computer. It makes me feel closer to home somehow, even if I am thousands of miles away.

On my walk, I see a lot of familiar plants (to the ones in California), and a lot of unfamiliar birds. I take note at how a lot of things here are the same as back home, and yet...so different. I also question little things. People dry their laundry outside here even on cold wet days. How come Californians with more sunshine than we ever need, don't do that? Most of the mailboxes here have "No Junk Mail" right on them. Does that work? How come we never thought to put that on ours instead of complaining about how much junk mail we get daily? I also question more meaningful questions. Life questions. Why are we here? And where are we going?

Around here, I am learning a lot. Big things. Little things. And I remind myself that I am very lucky to be living life to its fullest.

No comments: